Thursday April 24, 2014

City police responds to accidents, attempted B&E


The Weyburn Police Service dealt with a number of accidents and an attempted break-in to a home in the past week.

Police attended to an accident between a train and a semi truck on Dec. 11 at around 3:45 p.m. Investigation revealed that the truck was south-bound on Queen Street and failed to clear the train track with his trailer. The eastbound train hit the trailer which was loaded with sand, dislodging it from the tractor unit pushing it down the track before coming to a stop. The 40-year-old driver of the truck was transported to the Weyburn Hospital where he was treated for minor injuries and released. The incident is still under investigation.

Police received a complaint of a semi truck dragging his load. The load was a house and the semi had blown two tires causing the load to drag on the highway. The semi was located where he was able to pull off the highway and make the necessary repairs.

Police received a report of an attempted break-and-enter to a residence. Investigation revealed that a basement window had been damaged. The noise had alerted the occupants and the person(s) responsible fled from the scene.Evidence at the scene suggests that the incident was mischief and there was no attempt to gain access to the residence. The matter is under investigation.

There was a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of Government Road and Highway 39 on Dec. 9. A northbound car failed to stop for a red light. The car collided with an east-bound truck. Icy road conditions were a contributing factor. Both vehicles received substantial damage and had to be towed from the scene.

Police received a complaint of a male going from house to house ringing doorbells on Dec. 13. A 22-year-old male was found in a garage trying to stay warm. He was intoxicated and was unsure of where he was. He was arrested for being drunk in public and lodged in cells until sober.

Police received a call for assistance from a taxi driver who was having trouble with two intoxicated passengers. Police assisted the taxi driver in receiving payment and ensured the two drunken passengers made it to their residence.

Police assisted the fire department in responding to a fire alarm at Legion Towers.

On Dec. 7, police received a call from a local taxi company regarding an intoxicated male that had left without paying his fare. They were also concerned for the individual’s well-being as they were intoxicated and it was extremely cold. Police located the individual who paid his taxi fare and was helped to a warm location for the night.

Police were made aware of a concern an individual has with the well-being of their elderly parents on Dec. 8. The situation has been redirected to the appropriate agencies for assistance.

City police were called to a local hotel as an individual had passed out on the floor of the establishment on Dec. 9. The man was taken into police custody and lodged in cells. The man also had outstanding warrants for his arrest.

Police attended to a family domestic between a father and son on Dec. 10. Police intervention prevented the physical altercation from escalating. The matter was mediated successfully.

Police attended to a call at a local bar, where there a number of fights in progress simultaneously. Police identified those participating in the altercation, and were able to disperse the group. The matter is still under investigation and charges will likely be laid.

Police received a call of a vehicle that was driving unusually slow on Dec. 13 and had driven into the ditch. Police located the vehicle and determined that alcohol was not a contributing factor. The vehicle was unregistered and the operator was charged accordingly.

Police dealt with a youth who was found in possession of a small amount of marijuana. The matter was mediated and the youth turned over to the care of their parents.

Police received a complaint of a vehicle swerving all over the road. The vehicle was located at the intersection of Highway 39 and Third Street.

The vehicle was travelling on a flat tire. The 21-year-old driver was also found to be intoxicated. He was arrested and charged with driving while over .08 and impaired driving.

In a routine traffic stop police arrested an individual who had outstanding warrants. He was also a suspended driver. As a result his vehicle was seized and he was charged. He was later released on his outstanding warrants.

During a traffic stop police arrested an individual for impaired driving, he was arrested and taken to the police station where he refused to provide a breath sample. He was subsequently charged for refusing a breath test. If convicted he will receive the same punishment as is charged for impaired driving.

On Dec. 15, police assisted the ambulance with a medical emergency. A female was transported by ambulance to the Weyburn General Hospital for treatment.

Police were called to a residential area to deal with a fight in progress. The two individuals, who were passengers in the same taxi, got into a physical confrontation after a verbal exchange. A 48-year-old female and 21-year-old female were charged under the fighting bylaw.


Quick Vote

Survey results are meant for general information only, and are not based on recognised statistical methods.



Lost your password?