Sunday November 23, 2014

City police investigates assault, threats and fraud


The Weyburn Police Service responded to a complaint of a 29-year-old female having been assaulted on Aug. 22. As a result of the investigation her 34-year-old common-law partner was arrested and is facing charges of assault causing bodily harm and forcible confinement. He has been remanded in custody and returned to court in Weyburn Aug. 26. The investigation is ongoing.

Police received a report on Aug. 18 that an estranged spouse had sent a text message uttering death threats to his former spouse. Upon further investigation, a 36-year-old male has been charged with uttering death threats and will be making a court appearance.

City police received a report of a possible electronic fraud on Aug. 19. Investigation revealed that when the victim checked her bank account it was found to be substantially short of funds. In consultation with the bank it was determined that the transfer was unauthorized and the victim’s account was credited.

It appears that the victim conducted some banking business over an unsecured wireless connection. Although it has not been proved that the account was hacked through this unsecured connection that is the likely scenario. Police urge individuals to be cautious when conducting any business on-line and especially over unsecured wireless connections.

The Weyburn police became involved in a property dispute on Aug. 20 resulting from a breakdown in a common-law relationship. The police were able to mediate a partial disposition of property with the remaining property to either be settled amicably or determined through the courts.

The police received two 911 calls regarding a potentially suicidal individual on Aug. 21. Upon attending the police found a 28-year-old female suffering from depression compounded by alcohol and drug use. The individual was taken to the Weyburn General Hospital where she received treatment and was later released.

Police received a call from On-Star regarding a vehicle collision on Aug. 21. By the time the police arrived at the scene the driver had fled. It appears that the vehicle was travelling erratically eastbound on Railway Avenue when it failed to make the curve to 18th Street crashing into a fence and power pole. The vehicle suffered extensive damage. The Estevan RCMP subsequently received a report from the vehicle owner that it had been stolen from his residence. The matter is being jointly investigated by the Weyburn Police and Estevan RCMP.

At about midnight as a result of driving action a vehicle was checked by Weyburn police on Aug. 21. The driver was found to be under the influence of alcohol and was taken to the police station for a breath test.

A 25-year-old local male has been charged with driving while over .08 and will be making a court appearance. He was also issued a ticket for having open liquor in a motor vehicle. The vehicle was impounded for 60 days in accordance with the new legislation.

The police received a citizen complaint of a possible impaired driver on Aug. 22. The driver was located driving and was subsequently stopped. A 69-year-old local female was arrested and is facing charges of impaired driving and refusing a breath demand. She will be making a subsequent court appearance.

At about 9:30 p.m. on Aug. 23, the Weyburn police received a report of a missing eight-year-old child having wandered off from his residence. Prior to the search beginning in earnest the child wandered into a local business looking for his mother. He was reunited with his family.


Quick Vote

Survey results are meant for general information only, and are not based on recognised statistical methods.



Lost your password?