Police deal with accidents

Weyburn Review
July 16, 2014 01:00 AM

The Weyburn Police Service attended to a motor vehicle accident at Government Road and Hill Avenue on July 9 after reports were received of a truck hitting a power pole and knocking out power in the downtown area. The 19-year-old male driver was charged with driving too fast for road conditions and failing to report an accident. He also had his vehicle impounded for three days after a roadside breath test revealed he had been drinking but was under .08.

Police received a report of a semi-trailer B-train striking the bridge guardrail at Highway 39 and Government Road on Thursday. The driver had failed to properly negotiate the turn and hit the guard rail causing damage to both the semi trailer unit and guard rail. No charges were laid in the incident.

Police attended to a local business for a report of a theft of a motor vehicle on Thursday. An ATV had been stolen overnight from a parked trailer. The stolen ATV was later recovered in Estevan. The incident remains under investigation.

Police attended to a local business after a report of a break-and-enter into a locked compound on Thursday. The incident remains under investigation.

Police attended to a local restaurant after receiving reports of counterfeit money being passed on July 8. Upon arrival police arrested a 17-year-old female and seized two counterfeit $20 bills.

The accused, who was from out of province, was charged with using and possessing counterfeit money and was later released on a $500 cash bail to appear in court in August.

During the week police received numerous reports of counterfeit $20 bills being located after being passed at local businesses. These incidents remain under investigation.

A 36-year-old male was charged under the City of Weyburn nuisance bylaw on July 7 for having an unkept yard after failing to comply with an order to clean up the property. As a result the Weyburn police, Weyburn city bylaw officer and employees of the City of Weyburn attended to the residence on July 7 and the yard was cleaned by City works staff. The associated costs for cleaning will be charged to the homeowner or assessed on their upcoming taxes; the 36-year-old male will make his first court appearance in August.

Police attended to a local bar on July 7 after receiving information a local male was in the liquor establishment in contravention of his release conditions. The 37-year-old male was arrested for breach of an undertaking and held in custody for court the next day.

Police received a report of a fraud after an empty envelope was deposited into a local bank account and then funds withdrawn on July 8. A suspect has been identified and the incident remains under investigation.

On July 8, police attended to a motor vehicle accident at the McDonalds drive-through after one vehicle had backed into another vehicle. The male driver was charged under the Traffic Safety Act for backing up when unsafe.

Police received a call from a local resident advising that her estranged husband was hitting the back door of the house with a baseball bat on Friday. Police attended and arrested a 38-year-old male who was subsequently charged with intimidation, and mischief. He was later released from custody with conditions and is to appear in court later in August.

Police received complaints of mischief from two residents in the northwest area of the city after fences were damaged on Saturday. The incidents remain under investigation.

Police received numerous calls of a party at a local residence on Sunday, and that a fight had broke out on the front yard. Police attended and calmed the situation. The individuals involved were identified and the matter remains under investigation.

Police received a call from a downtown bar of two individuals who were causing problems on Sunday. Police members attended and found that the individuals who were causing the problems had left when police were called. While still at the establishment another fight broke out and police separated and arrested one of the individuals. The 27-year-old male was lodged in cells for being drunk in public and was later released when sober.

If you or anyone you know has any information regarding any of the above crimes, or any other serious crime, police are encouraging you to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-Tips (8477), or to contact the Weyburn Police Service. Callers do not have to reveal their identity, and tips which lead to an arrest are eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000.

© Copyright 2014 Weyburn Review

Email to a Friend


Weyburn Development POLL

How do you think development is progressing in Weyburn?

or  view results

Popular Weyburn News

Community Event Calendar

Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.