Cousins who were best friends dead from carbon monoxide gas in Saskatchewan home

PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. — Two young cousins have died after police say they were overcome by carbon monoxide gas at a home in northern Saskatchewan.

RCMP say emergency medical crews found the 12-year-boy and 13-year-old girl dead Tuesday afternoon when they arrived at a residence in a recreational community in the Prince Albert area.

article continues below

The pair, who relatives say were also best friends, were visiting with family members at the time.

A GoFundMe account created by friend Jan Goy says the tragedy started out as a fun evening in a loft at the lake.

Goy says funds raised would help the families with funeral costs.

She adds the parents are also in jobs that don't have benefits or paid leave.

"Any help would be appreciated," said Goy. "It's been a pretty devastating week."

Police said no one else at the residence needed treatment for the effects of the colourless and odourless gas.

The Saskatchewan Coroner's Service is investigating, but police said the deaths are not considered suspicious.

The cousins died the same day 46 people at a Winnipeg hotel were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials said insufficient ventilation caused a buildup of the gas in the building.

All 46 were discharged from various hospitals within 24 hours.

© Copyright Weyburn Review
Sign Up for Our Newsletter!

Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.

Popular Weyburn News