Weyburn police, RCMP investigate collision at airport road

The Weyburn Police Service, assisted by the Weyburn RCMP, EMS and Fire, attended to a two-vehicle collision with injuries at Highway 13 and the Airport Road on July 9.

The investigation revealed that two vehicles were travelling westbound on Highway 13. One larger vehicle was preparing to turn left (south) onto the Terminal road when the second westbound vehicle was continuing to travel west in the passing lane. An eastbound vehicle failed to see the vehicle that was passing resulting in the collision. Occupants were transported to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

article continues below

The driver of the eastbound vehicle was issued a traffic ticket for failing to yield when making a left turn.

City police received a complaint on Saturday regarding an individual who was observed walking around the mall area with what appeared to be a holstered gun visible to the public. The vehicle in which the person was riding was quickly located and a high-risk traffic stop was conducted. This resulted in the determination that the gun was in fact a toy gun and the person responsible meant no harm by his actions.

It is important for the public to know that they are safe when out and about. When police receive or encounter a complaint regarding a weapon being openly displayed in the public their only course is to conduct the investigation as if the weapon is in fact real and that the person may intend on using it.

To not do this may cause both an officer safety issue and a public safety issue. In this case the situation was quickly dealt with and confirmed that there was no public safety issue. Police strongly urge anyone, whether they are a child, youth or adult, to not carry or wear any form of imitation weapon in public. There can be criminal charges laid if the showing of the weapon in public is malicious or threatening in nature.

Weyburn police received a report of a residential break, enter and theft on Wednesday. The matter is still under investigation.

Weyburn police assisted two families in locating family members suffering from dementia who had wandered off on July 8. Both were quickly located.

The police wish to let anyone who has a family member suffering from dementia know that the Alzheimer’s Society can provide them with very valuable information regarding a new web-based program that allows first responders to access certain information about the registered person. This information can be extremely beneficial when searching for or especially coming across a person who is missing. Please contact the Weyburn police and ask for Chief Marlo Pritchard or Deputy Chief Rod Stafford, or contact the Alzheimer’s Society if you would like more information.

City police were contacted to assist a family in executing a Youth Detoxification Warrant on July 9. The youth was apprehended without incident and transported to the Regina General Hospital for assessment.

In an unrelated file, the Weyburn police assisted another family with the execution of a Youth Detoxification warrant and transported the youth to Regina for assessment on July 9.

City police received a call regarding an intoxicated male causing a disturbance at a downtown business on Wednesday. The male was gone when police arrived but was located a short distance away and was arrested for being intoxicated in a public place. He was held in cells until sober.

City police received a request for assistance to gain entry to a residence where it appeared the occupant was in need of assistance on Wednesday. When police arrived the occupant could be heard screaming for help. As no key was immediately available, the police forced open the door where they found an individual in medical distress.

Weyburn police assisted one person in a domestic relationship to retrieve their property on Friday, and to keep the peace while doing so. There was no incident.

City police received a call regarding a family child custody matter on Friday. The matter was discussed with both sides and an ongoing situation was defused.

The Weyburn police conducted a traffic stop on Saturday, which resulted in the driver being issued a three-day driving suspension and a ticket for having open alcohol in the vehicle. The vehicle was also impounded.

The Weyburn police received a report that an individual had been assaulted on Sunday. The victim was treated by EMS. The matter is still under investigation.