The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada

The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times Eastern):

8:00 p.m. A curfew intended to curb the spread of COVID-19 in Quebec is now in effect.

article continues below

The new measure was announced earlier this week by Premier Francois Legault and kicked in at 8 p.m.

Under the terms of the curfew, most Quebec residents could face fines of up to $6,000 if they go out into the streets between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. for the next four weeks.

There are exemptions in place for certain groups such as essential workers.

---

6 p.m.

Alberta is reporting 31 new deaths due to COVID-19 and 989 more cases of the virus.

The province's chief medical officer of health says there are 827 people in hospital — 132 of whom are in intensive care.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw says there are some positive signs in the province, but the virus is still spreading so people must remain vigilant.

---

5 p.m.

Saskatchewan is reporting 332 more cases of COVID-19 and seven added deaths today.

As it stands, there are nearly 3,200 active cases of the virus in the province.

Health officials say 179 people are hospitalized with the virus, including 30 in intensive care.

---

3:50 p.m.

Manitoba is reporting seven new deaths from COVID-19 and 203 new cases as of 9:30 a.m.

The province's daily pandemic update says there are more than 4,600 active COVID-19 cases.

The province says there are 229 people in hospital with active COVID-19, plus another 84 who are no longer infectious but who remain in hospital because they still require care.

The number of patients in intensive care stands at 37.

---

3:30 p.m.

Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting three new cases of COVID-19 today, bringing the total number of active cases in the province to 31.

The province says two cases are in the central zone, with one a close contact of a previously reported case, while the other is related to travel outside of Atlantic Canada.

The last case in the eastern zone is a student at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, and is also related to travel outside of Atlantic Canada.

Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia's chief medical officer of health, says the cases among post-secondary students returning to the province serve as a reminder of the importance of public health measures.

---

2:45 p.m.

New Brunswick is reporting 30 new cases of COVID-19 today, one of the highest single-day increases since the onset of the pandemic.

The outbreak is spread out across much of the province, with the Fredericton, Edmundston, Campbellton and Moncton regions all reporting the highest number of cases.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province's chief medical health officer, encouraged residents to download the COVID alert app.

The number of active cases in New Brunswick is 171.

---

11:30 a.m.

Quebec is reporting 3,127 new cases of COVID-19 today hours before a provincewide curfew is set to take effect.

The province is also reporting 41 new deaths related to the virus, 12 of which occurred in the past 24 hours.

Data shows 24 of the deaths took place between Jan. 2 and 7, while five occurred before Jan. 2.

Hospitalizations declined slightly to 1,392 across the province, with 206 patients in intensive care.

---

11:05 a.m.

Ontario's education minister says the province is expanding the list of essential workers eligible to receive free child-care during the time school is taught remotely.

Stephen Lecce says Canada Post staff, workers with the RCMP and Canada Border Services, and workers with homeless shelters and children's aid societies are among those on the expanded list.

Earlier this week, the province announced online learning would continue until at least Jan. 25 for students across southern Ontario in order to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The province reported 3,443 new cases of the virus today along with 40 related deaths.

---

9:30 a.m.

Quebec's premier is urging residents to respect a curfew that takes effect tonight and that he argues is necessary to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Francois Legault says the month-long curfew is meant to discourage gatherings he says are responsible for rising case numbers and hospitalization rates.

He calls the measure a "shock treatment" necessary to keep the province from reaching a tipping point that would leave the most seriously ill patients without proper care.

Starting tonight and until at least Feb. 8, most Quebecers are being asked to remain at home between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.

Residents will receive an emergency alert later today to remind them of the new rules.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 9, 2021.

© Copyright Weyburn Review